Basic troubleshooting tips for the APM Insight Node.js agent
If you have installed the APM Insight Node.js agent and are facing issues with it, follow the instructions below to troubleshoot your application.
License key and logs
- Check whether your apminsightnode.json file contains the correct license key (Refer Site24x7 APM Insight page for the correct license key).
- Check the agent logs (located in the apminsightdata directory where you run the application) for any network communication warnings.
Your license has expired, or there has been a delay in bill payments.
Upgrade your plan.
The limit on the number of advanced monitors has been reached. Agent communication happens once every 15 minutes, so invalid licenses won't be reflected immediately.
Ensure you have sufficient advanced monitor licenses and the correct license keys.
Your application has been marked for deletion (Trying to add a monitor after deleting it in the Site24x7 console).
Navigate to the apminsightdata folder to delete the apminsight.json file. Delete it and restart the application. (This will recycle the app pools).
Your application has been suspended.
If it is suspended due to autoscaling, it will be activated automatically. If not, please activate it from the site24x7 client.
- Check the apminsight.json file (located in the apminsightdata directory where you run the application) for the key "status." If it is "900," delete the file and restart the server.
- apminsightnode.json file should not have any line comments.
- JSON is a data-only format. JSON does not permit comments of the form //, #, or /* */, which are commonly used in programming languages. You may add comments to JSON as custom JSON elements that will hold your comments, but these elements will still be data.
- If the apminsightdata folder is not created, check for any console print related to APM Insight. The console print will provide details on how to add an agent. In addition, if an error occurs, it will be printed there.
Proxy and Firewall settings
- If your server has a proxy configuration, provide the proxy details in the apminsightnode.json file. Check the help document for more information.
- Check your firewall settings—Site24x7 agent collects and sends data to the Site24x7 servers (plusinsight.site24x7.com) via port 443. If your firewall settings block connections over these ports, modify your settings accordingly.
- Check whether the app server and your Site24x7 account are in the same time zone. To change your account's time zone, go to Admin > My Account.
- If your APM instance is not receiving data, please perform some transactions on your server and check the Site24x7 console after a couple of minutes.
APM Insight agent log paths
Folder path to view One agent logs One agent logs can be found only in the common application folder in Windows (usually under C:\ProgramData from Vista onwards). Check the following folder path in Windows: C:\ProgramData\Site24x7APMOneAgent\Logs ...
How to add APM Insight Java agent without application restart?
In general, after installing the APM Insight Java agent, you have to restart your application for the agent to capture monitoring data. But in case of critical issues in the app, like sudden application slowness, where you haven't installed APM ...
Managing Node.js applications using PM2 Process Manager
Configure PM2 to manage Node.js applications Follow the instructions below to configure PM2 to manage Node.js applications. Steps to configure PM2 Configure the processManagerEnabled key in the already created apminsightnode.json file. Pass the value ...
How to rename an APM Insight application?
Site24x7 APM Insight doesn't support renaming applications/monitors from the web client. However, the application name of an existing application instance can be renamed in the apminsight.conf file and the agent associated with that instance will ...
What does Java agent troubleshooting operation do and what are the additional arguments that can be given?
Troubleshooting operation will perform the below mentioned checks: Checks whether agent directory has read/write operations Checks whether apminsight.conf has license key mentioned Checks whether agent state, unmanaged, deleted or managed Checks ...