Why do I observe a spike in my website response time?
Response time is a combination of DNS time, connection time, SSL Handshake time (for HTTPS) and download time. Spikes in response time could be due to increase in DNS time or connection time or download time. Some factors to consider:
- In case of increase in DNS time, one way of resolving this is by configuring the option "Resolve IP Address from Domain name server" in our client
- Increase in connection time may be due to an ISP routing problem specific to a monitoring location
- If the first/last byte time increases, it may be due to some bandwidth or network issue
- Increase in first byte/last byte time may be due to the following reasons:
- Server may take some time to respond
- Server throughput may be low
- There may be more of response content transfer
- ISP routing may create multiple hops
to know more on the performance metrics of a website monitor
Why is my website response time too high from China?
If your website is hosted outside China and you have chosen China as the location for monitoring, then the website response time will be high. This is because of the Great Firewall policy followed by China wherein, all the data coming from outside ...
How does the Poll Strategy setting work for website monitors?
When configuring thresholds for performance metrics, you can set strategies that the website monitor will use to send alerts during a threshold breach. There are four options available: Poll count Poll average Time duration Average time The default ...
Response time in Website monitoring
In website monitoring, response time is calculated as the total time taken to resolve the DNS, complete the TCP hand-shake, negotiate an SSL handshake (for HTTPS) and download the full HTML output from the server. However, it does not include getting ...
Response time and its components
Response time is comprised of five major components namely DNS time, connection time, SSL Handshake Time, first byte and Download time. Let us consider a scenario to further explain these terms: A website zoho.com is monitored by Site24x7. Firstly, ...
Alerting mechanism of response time threshold violation
An alert will be triggered only if there is any status change for the monitor i.e. if the monitor state changes from UP to TROUBLE or vice versa. A response time threshold breached alert will be triggered if the below conditions are satisfied: ...