To check the SNMP reachability using MIB browser
Site24x7 On-Premise Poller uses SNMP to monitor and collect performance metrics from the monitored devices.
Please follow the steps below to check if a network device or a server is reachable through SNMP, from the on-Premise poller using the bundled MIB browser:
- Open the Command Prompt as an administrator. From the administrator command prompt, go to the directory where the On-Premise Poller is installed
- Then navigate to ../Site24x7OnPremisePoller/Networkplus/bin folder
- Execute the MibBrowser.sh or MibBrowser.bat file
- Set the SNMP credentials with respect to the version.
- For SNMP v1, set the host, port, and the SNMP community.
- For SNMP v2, click Edit > Settings > Change the SNMP version > Ok. Set the host, port, and the SNMP community.
- For SNMP v3, click Edit > Settings > Change the SNMP version > Add. Set the host, port, username, authentication credentials and click Ok.
Then, navigate the RFC1213-MIB to org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysObjectID (or) set the value for Object ID field to .220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168
Now click on the Get SNMP variable icon (7th icon from left) below the menu bar
Please check if the device details are fetched successfully.
If a timeout occurs, please check if
i) the host name, port, and the SNMP community are specified correctly
ii) there is a firewall blocking SNMP connection
iii) the On-Premise Poller is on the same network as the device.
There are also chances for the On-Premise Poller to not be on the list of hosts that are allowed to query the device through SNMP. Please check the SNMP configuration on the device for the same. Click here
to know more about MIB browser errors.
If the MIB browser is inaccessible or fails to work, SNMP command line tools can be used to check the SNMP reachability.
Install the required packages:
Fedora/Centos: yum install net-snmp-utils
Ubuntu: apt-get install snmp
> snmpwalk -v [1/2c/3] -c <Read_Community> <IP_Address >
Example: snmpwalk -v 1 -c public 10.10.10.1
Note: If the SNMP port is not default 161, Please specify the correct port in the above command as IP_Address:Port