Permissions required for successful upgrade of Windows server monitoring agent
Please perform the following steps to ensure successful upgrade of the Windows agent:
Check Windows Installer in Windows Service Manager:
Re-registration of Windows Installer:
- Make sure the Windows Installer service is up and running.
- Go to Start and click on Control Panel > Administrative Tools
- Click on Services and scroll to Windows Installer. Double click on it and a new dialog box will open
- Check to see if the Startup Type is set to Manual.
- Service status is usually stopped. Try and start the Windows Installer server.
- Note down the error message if any. Click Ok
- Now, Go to Start and search for cmd. Right click and select, ‘Run as Administrator’
- In the command prompt, type:
Type msiexec.exe /unregister
Type msiexec.exe /regserver
Verify the registry permissions:
Give full control permission to System account:
- Go to Start and search for Regedit
- Find HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services and select msiserver
- Go to Edit > Permissions > select System > allow full control
Note: If the required permission is not given, go to Edit > select System > and check the box for full control
- Verify if the system account has full control.
- To do that, go to the computer's root drive > Properties > Security
- Under Group or user names > click System and check if Full Permission has been given.
If the upgrade fails even after working out the above steps, download and install the latest Windows Installer and try again.