How to set up monitoring for a cloned Linux server with the same host name or UUID?
One of the many reasons for a Linux server monitor not showing up on the Site24x7 dashboard even after successful installation of the agent is due to having the same host name for multiple servers. This calls for a way to distinguish the cloned servers since it is mandatory to have a unique host name for every server.
The following list the possible cases:
- More then one server is created using the same image (AMI) in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- In a virtual machine (VM), a server monitoring agent is installed and the VM is cloned along with the installed service
Let us explain the solution with one of the above scenarios:
In AWS, three servers have the same host name because it was created using the same Amazon Machine Image (AMI). In this case, the first server will be added, but the second and third servers will get mapped to the same monitor, because of the same host name. To resolve this, please follow the below steps for the other two servers:
- Edit the configuration file "/opt/site24x7/monagent/conf/monagent.cfg"
- Change the [PRODUCT_REGISTRATION_KEY]
from site24x7 = SITE24X7
to site24x7 = SITE24X7NEW
- Change the [AGENT_INFO]
from agent_key = "AGENT_KEY"
to agent_key = 0
- Restart the agent by using "sudo /etc/init.d/site24x7monagent restart"