Add a device template to my network monitor
If there is no preset template corresponding to your device, you can create one based on your need. Log into your Site24x7 account and navigate to Network > Device Templates. In the Device Templates screen, click Add Device Template, located at the top right corner of the screen, and enter the following:
- Device Template: Provide a name to identify the template.
- Share this template globally with other Site24x7 users: Toggle Yes if you wish to share your custom template across Site24x7 users.
- Vendor: Pick a vendor from the drop-down menu or add one by clicking +.
- Category: Choose the category to which the device belongs to. You can also add a new custom category by clicking +. In this case, you'll have to add a Parent Category first, and then the custom Category will be a sub-type of the Parent.
- Device Identifier: Enter the System Object Identifier (SysOID).
- Performance Counters: To add custom performance counters, click the button. The performance counters can be either scalar, tabular, or you can also view them as a table.
- MIB Browser: Choose if you wish to add performance counters from generic MIB or custom MIBSs.
- Generic MIBs: These are available by default in Site24x7. Choose the Vendor and the MIB from the drop-down list.
- Custom MIBs: You can upload MIBs from your system and use them to add custom performance counters.
- On-Premise Poller: Choosing an On-Premise Poller will list all the MIBs inside the folder Poller-home/NetworkPlus/mibs. Choose the On-Premise Poller which stores the MIB files you uploaded. If you choose ‘Recently Viewed’, all the MIBs that were uploaded or recently used will be shown.
- MIB: Choose an already uploaded MIB from the drop-down menu or click + to add new ones.
In the Upload MIB screen, select files and upload them from your computer. Also, choose the On-Premise Poller which has to store the MIB files.
- Scalar Performance Counters: Add scalar performance counters by entering the values for SNMP OID, name, description, unit, type, and format value. You can either enter them manually or use the in-built MIB browser to do the same.
- Tabular Performance Counters: Add tabular performance counters by entering the values for SNMP OID, name, description, unit, type, and format value. You can either enter them manually or use the in-built MIB browser to do the same. By selecting a table on the MIB, you can directly create a Table View which includes all the corresponding tabular performance counters.
Save Absolute: This option is available for scalar and tabular performance counters and is useful for counter type OIDs. When toggled to No, this will fetch the value as the difference between the last two polls. To fetch the value from all data procured, toggle to Yes.
- Table View: A table view displays selected performance counters as a table. Provide a name, and choose the tabular performance counters that have to be displayed as individual columns in a table. You can also choose a table directly from the MIB and view it, here. Note that a table can contain a maximum of nine columns while the rest will be added as individual tabular performance counters.
Column of the Table View to be displayed in the Alert: Choose a column name to include in the alerts generated so that you'll obtain a clear picture of which tabular performance counter in the table has generated an alert.
e.g. Consider a table View with two tabular performance counters (columns) namely "Sensor Failures" and "Sensor Description". If you choose the column "Sensor Description", then your alert will be like: Sensor Failures-.3 for (Power Supply 2 Sensor) exceeds 5 units.
- Show in Monitor Summary Page: Toggle yes to choose if the performance counter has to be displayed on the monitor summary page.
- Click Add.
- Table View: View a consolidated table of tabular performance counters that you added to the table (while adding custom performance counters). You can create an all-new Table View from here if you haven't created one yet.
- Custom Monitor Metrics: You can configure monitor-level metrics for your device type by providing a custom performance counter. Click Configure Custom Monitor Metrics. In the Custom Monitor Metrics window that pops up, choose the custom metrics for the performance counters of CPU Utilization, Memory Utilization, Manufacturer, Serial Number, and Model Name from the drop-down menu. You can also Test them before adding. Please note that CPU and Memory Utilization can only be numeric values while the rest can be either numeric or string.
- Show in Monitor Summary Page: Double check your entries from the Add Performance Counters tab. You can also add more to your desired performance counters and tables, and view them on the monitor summary page.
- Click Save to save the custom template. Click Save and Associate to associate the template to a set of network devices